Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Curse Dark as Gold

I may need to amend my favorite books of 2008 list! This wonderful book, A Curse Dark as Gold, slipped by me, but thanks to the committee at the Morris Award for Debut YA Author it was brought to my attention. Having finished it yesterday I can definitely support this book as the winner, it was fantastic!

An historical novel with hints of magical realism, fairy tales, and folklore, A Curse Dark as Gold, is the story of Charlotte Miller, a young woman in roughly the 18th century, who has inherited a cursed woollen mill, Stirwaters. Determined to believe the curse is merely superstition, Charlotte and her sister set to work on keeping the mill running. But when a series of strange incidences occur Charlotte must answer the question who, or what, is sabotaging Stirwaters, or risk losing everything she loves.

Filled with amazing details about the woollen industry and the folklore of Britain in the 18th century, this first novel by Elizabeth C. Bunce is full of mystery, romance, and excitement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I hope your readers enjoy it as well.

~ecb